Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2003



I have been reading "Franchising for Dummies" by Dave Thomas and Michael Seid and so far, it is well written and informative. However, I get tense when I read this book because it tells me what a large undertaking it is to start a franchise. While franchising offers a lot of benefits in terms of getting help and support from the Franchisor, the road to success is fraught with danger. The key seems to be to select a good Franchisor who has your success in mind and provides the expertise and support as they are supposed to.

What scares me is this is truly a large undertaking. When I bought my condo, I relied heavily on my real estate agent to connect me with a lawyer and even a mortgage broker. One person connected me to other professionals who could help.

In this endeavor, while I can rely on the Franchisor (hopefully) after the I sign on the dotted line, all the activities prior to that has to be done on my own. At the very least, I would need to talk to a franchise lawyer to go over the contract. At this point, I am afraid of how long the process could take. Since I don't want to start consuming my savings that I am planning to use for starting the business, I want to get this up and running as soon as possible.



No comments: