Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2003

Laid Off

After being laid off a couple of weeks ago, I have been wrestling with going to find another job or starting a business, as my brother Peter and I have been talking about for the last year. Since my severance package will last me about four months before I have to start dipping into my savings, I have been seriously considering whether I should be taking this time to find a job or start the business.

In one of my grad school classes, the professor said that any activity that does not contribute to your ultimate goal is an activity that should not be prioritized. I took this to mean that if I truly wanted to be an entrepreneur, I have to concentrate on doing that. Looking for a job will only interfere with this process as it would take a lot of time and effort to get a business off the ground.

My heart tells me that I am not meant to work for "The Man". In my career in IT, I have mostly coasted on my job because I found it easy to do. I did not feel particularly challenged and maybe that is why in the past 5 years, I have had some lethargy in terms of my career.

Should I take the risk? or take the safe path? We shall see...

No comments: