Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2001

Top Ten Cliches Used in Gay Personal Ads



personal ads are by definition, advertisements. most people perceive us differently from how we perceive ourselves. so there will be omissions, exaggerations, if not outright lies. so you have to expect that the actual product will not necessarily be what you thought it/he should be. but some stuff are so meaningless even though they are supposed to be meaningful. and what about the ones with the super high expectations? no date unless you're a VGL (VeryGoodLooking), Hung, Masculine and Muscular nineteen year-old Jock. and i love the subconscious self-hate, where it goes "i'm gay but..." so here's my Ode to the Personals Ad in the form of a Top Ten List.

Top Ten Cliches Used in Gay Personal Ads:

10. "I'm as comfortable in a pair of jeans as I am in a tux"

9. "I prefer straight bars over gay bars"

8. "No Fats or Fems"

7. "I'm a normal guy who happens to be gay"

6. "I don't like the Gay Scene/Gay Lifestyle"

5. Eclectic as in "My taste in music/movies/books is Eclectic"

4. "Friends First"

3. "I Play Sports"

2. "I'm Butch"

1. "I'm a Top"

No comments: