Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Driving Home



Minister of our coming doom, preaching
On the car radio, how right
Your Hell and damnation sound to me
As I travel these small, bleak roads
Thinking of the mailman's son
The Army sent back in a sealed coffin.

His house is around the next turn.
A forlorn mutt sits in the yard
Waiting for someone to return home.
I can see the TV is on in the living room,
Canned laughter in the empty house
Like the sound of beer cans tied to a hearse.

- Charles Simic





Godspeed, soldiers.

-----

The Day After - A post I wrote the day after the Sept 11 attacks.
Poetry - Schmoetry. Stuff that rhyme and shit.

Stone - Another awesome poem by Charles Simic.
Back On The Bus - After the London bombings in 2005, I brave public transportation.


Books by Charles Simic:

No comments: